Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Overdrive

As I began teaching about learning styles to my own students, it became clear to me that I was never really an "auditory learner". I have always loved writing and prefer that as a way of communicating because I can see it. I am definitely more visual (which is one of the reasons I use different color fonts to see the different posts I have written more clearly). Hence, reading an actual book has always been appealing rather than checking out an audio book. Although when one of the libraries that I worked for discarded their collection of the most notable philosphers of American political heritage, I did snatch those up and listened to them in my car while driving to and from work.

I did go and explore Overdrive as requested. When it first came out, I went to through the tour and looked around in order to help customers reach these resources. Now for the first time I listened to a few excerpts. Although I had somewhat difficulty with not seeing anything related to the audio I was hearing, I was able to concentrate and "get interested" in the books I selected. I noticed that having the excerpt is a wonderful way to "hook" a potential customer into checking out the book. Although I love historical fiction, fantasy and different kinds of stories. I actually spend much more time reading and browsing non-fiction. I therefore looked at the titles from the genre section and chose "Self-Help" section. I believe that the most imortant thing about our life as humans is to figure out how we can improve ourselves in order to become better people to be around. I am very intersted in different topics in psychology and read about ways to cope with every day stress of parenting, marriage and life in general.

I did not download the programs on my computer at home but I might. Audiobooks are something that I will keep in mind and perhaps utilize in the future. However, currently I am concentrating on preparing a proposal for my online class, so further explorations in Overdrive will have to wait.

No comments: