Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wiki's Have Potential

I have looked at the Library Best Practices Wiki before. I was browsing through different categories and found a few things that were informative or helpful. However, I don't care much for the Wikipedia format of the page with boring colors and information all jammed together. I do love the idea that people like me who are not super techie can create information on a web page without memorizing html code etc. The nicest wiki was the Bull Run Library one because there was a bit of color and large headings. I have proposed in the past that wiki's could be a great way to communicate within a building and between departments. For example a branch wiki could be useful because you can inform everyone quickly about patron situations or about some item that needs to be taken care of a certain way. However, the downside is that not everyone is on the computer all the time and still might miss timely communication. It would still be worth a shot to try.

No comments: